“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need”
Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, lawyer, orator, political theorist, Roman consul and constitutionalist, January 3, 106 BC – December 7, 43 BC
Previously known as Maharani’s College for Women, Bangalore the Maharani's Science College for Women has an illustrious history and an aura about itself. The College is situated in the heart of the central business district and a stone’s throw away from VidhanaSoudha.
Maharani’s Science College for Women, Bangalore stands as a testimony to his glorious vision of providing science education exclusively to girls. The institution was started due to the benevolent initiative of the erstwhile Maharaja of Mysore, His Highness Sri. Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wadeyar.
The college with its aesthetically designed heritage building is ensconced amidst a sprawling campus of over 11.4 acres and is located in close proximity to VidhanaSoudha-the seat of power in the state. The college has earned recognition from various statutory bodies. The institution has obtained 2(f) and 12(b) tag of the UGC and has been accredited by NAAC with Grade "A" and a CGPS score of 3.04
The college is affiliated to Bangalore University and follows the semester program. Spanning the spotlight from fundamentals to applied aspects of major science subjects, the college offers B.Sc. Courses in fifteen combinations. In addition, the college also has PG Courses in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Computer Application. Several of these subjects have interdisciplinary approach. Improving the employability skill set of students, the college offers Add-on courses in medicinal plants.
The library is housed in a separate building near the college annexe. The main library has more than 49,753 volumes and some of the books date back to pre-independence era. The library staffs, led by Mr. Gurushankaraiah C.M., Selection Grade Librarian and Dr. Mariraj Vasudev Sedam, Senior Scale Librarian are at the service of the faculty and students. Their motto is, "Reading is a wellspring for achievers". A pleasant, inviting area, the library at Maharani's is a garden of knowledge.
A library is a treasure-house of knowledge and the backbone of a college academic environment. A well-stocked library is an asset to the college. The library is also a boon for poor students who cannot afford to buy books of their interest. The Library is fully Automated. The Reference section, SC/ST book bank, Current Awareness Service (CAS) section, magazine/journals sections are on the first floor of the library, while the Circulation section & Acquisition Sections are in the ground floor. The reference section accommodates 50 readers. Students can comfortably read the reference books, magazines, periodicals and newspapers. Back volumes and journals are available. The facility of “Open Access System” has been introduced whereby the readers have direct access to the cupboards and do the necessary reference. Reprographic and Internet facilities are also available here. Circulation counter is made available for issue, return and renewal of books. Educational CD/DVDs on different subjects are available for students use.
Mission & Vision
Library serves as a resource centre and aims to develop a comprehensive collection of books and journals useful for students and faculty of the college and provides an efficient dissemination of knowledge.
1. Library aims to be one of the best among Government college libraries in the state.
2. Library intends to incorporate the latest technology and adopt user friendly approach towards students and faculty.
3. Library intends to offer comprehensive services related to dissemination of knowledge.
1. To acquire, organize and update the library collection to support the teaching-learning program.
2. To encourage students to read beyond the requirements of the curriculum.
3. To work with faculty in integrating information skills, knowledge of information sources, and the use of technology in accessing information needed to strengthen their instruction, research and extension programs.
4. To provide instruction and assistance in the effective use of learning resources / services.
Working Hours of Library:
On working days - 09:00 am to 05:00 pm (Mon - Fri)
09:00 am to 01:30 pm (Sat)
1. Library offers membership to all Under-Graduate, Post-Graduate Students and Faculty.
2. Once the college ID (with bar-code tag) to be issued by office staff, students are eligible to borrow the books from library.
3. After getting the ID (with bar-code tag) new joiner will get auto-registered with Library Software Database.
General Instructions to Students:
1. College Identity Card and a Pen are a must for library transaction.
2. Under/Post-Graduate Students can borrow 3 books at a time.
3. Borrowed books can be used for 30 days and should be returned / renewed on or before the due date failing which, a fine of Rs.1/per day would be charged.
4. Reference Books, Periodicals & Newspapers will not be issued.
5. You are under CCTV Surveillance.
Location & Lay-out of Library:
The College Library Building is located behind the New PG-block and Library Building consists of two floors.
Ground Floor First Floor
Librarian Office Reference Books
Baggage Counter Reference Section
OPAC-Online Public Access Catalogue Internet Centre for Students & Faculty
Log-In/Log-Out for Students/Faculty Newspapers Section
Display of New Arrivals Languages Book Bank
Drinking Water (UV Purifier - Chilled) Display of Journals / Magazines
Computerized Circulation Counter Bound Volumes of Journals
UG General Books Old Q-Bank
PG General Books (Separate Section) Restroom for Women
The college library has been established in the year 1938 with the Book collection of 200 only. Gradually collection of books has been increased to 45,245 books and 302 DVDs. The strength of our library is good collection of resources. The library also provides e-journals, e-books from INFLIBNET NLIST programme, Journals, popular magazines and Newspapers.
Total Collection (as on till date):
1. Total No. of Books - 49,753
2. No. of Titles - 30,090
3. No. of Text Books - 47,411
4. Reference Books - 2,342
5. No. of Journals - 11
6. No. of Magazines - 28
7. No. of Newspapers - 10
8. Back Volumes of Journals - 150
9. Electronic Resources (E-Books & E-Journals): Department of Library & Information Centre have subscribed e-journals and e-books from Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET) through National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content (NLIST) programme.
College Faculty & Students can access E-books & E-journals through the following website.
Best Practices / User Education
1. Open access system
2. Displaying new arrivals of books
3. Internet Service
4. Career/Employment services
5. Display of newspaper clippings
6. Article Alert Service
7. E-mail alert service of new arrivals of books
8. Compilation of student and teacher attendance statistics
9. Compilation of feedback form from students about library services
10. Discussion forum on user query regarding library collection development
Course Syllabus List can be access through from below link.
Inauguration of Library Automation which was Inaugurated by our Principal on 24-Aug-2013
Inauguration of Library Website & Internet Centre in Library which was Inaugurated by Honorable Higher Education Minister Sri. R.V Deshpande on 30-Dec-2014
Sharada Pooja was held at Library on 05-October-2019 in presence of Principal, Teaching& Non-Teaching Staff and Students
Librarian's Day & Book Exhibition which was held on 15th October, 2019 at Library, MSCW Bangalore
In-Plant Training for Dipoma in Library & Information Centre, Government Polytechnic for Women,
Bengaluru (02-12-2019 to 31-12-2019)
Bengaluru (02-12-2019 to 31-12-2019)